- The largest community in Massachusetts is Boston with a population of 636,479; the smallest is Gosnold with 76.
- STATE NICKNAMES: Bay State, Old Bay State, Pilgrim State, Puritan State, Old Colony State, Baked Bean State
- Foods invented in Massachusetts include: the chocolate chip cookie, Boston Cream Pie, Fig Newtons, Marshmallow Fluff, Necco Wafers, fried clams,
- Boston built the first subway system in the United States in 1897.
- Volleyball was invented in Massachusetts! Learn all about it at the Volleyball Hall of Fame.
- The first basketball game was played in Springfield. Learn all about it at the Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Harvard was the first college established in North America, in 1636.
- The Boston University Bridge on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston is the only place in the world where a boat can sail under a train driving under a car driving under an airplane.
- The first Thanksgiving Day was celebrated in Plymouth in 1621.
- It’s illegal to make clam chowder with tomatoes in it in Massachusetts.
- Boston Common was the first public park in America.
- Whirlwind I, the world’s first computer that operated in real time, was invented at MIT.
- Boston has the oldest restaurant in the country, the Union Oyster House.
For more facts & stats, click here.